The Australian Research Council (ARC) is a Commonwealth entity which advises the Australian Government on research matters so that the outcomes of ARC-funded research deliver cultural, economic, social and environmental benefits to all Australians.
The Australian Research Council (ARC) Centre of Excellence for Mathematical and Statistical Frontiers (ACEMS) brings together for the first time a critical mass of Australia’s best researchers in applied mathematics, statistics, mathematical physics and machine learning.
The previous website for ACEMS was providing information however it was not meeting the Centre's needs when it came to educating stakeholders and interested parties in what the Centre does, the amazing achievements they are attaining, and attracting people to their field.
In reviewing the Centre's user needs and website goals we identified numerous cost savings and functional benefits in leveraging the centres existing Drupal KPI Reporting tool. This solution could be extended, data shared and training consolidated to provide an efficient and effective solution. The removal of the additional technology platform also provided savings in hosting, software and support costs.
The new website needed to
- highlight the Centre’s main activities and outputs - research, projects, events and internal and external collaboration
- provide the ability to integrate and automatically update various lists on the website using data from the ACEMS KPI reporting database
- develop systems to search, organise and link or tag data from other sources
- simplify the overall look and feel of the website, and reduce the number of menu tabs and actions needed to access content
- make it easier for ACEMS members and the outside world to connect with other members and understand their specialities and current projects
- have a member’s login area for resources, cross node collaboration support, internal shared calendars, etc
- publication management through BitText and EndNote imports and CrossRef integration
- display well on mobile devices
Following an initial design meeting the designs were underway and working through the steering committees while we were undertaking the initial functional enhancements to the KPI reporting tool. Then, followings some minor design tweaks, our team got right into the development of this important site.
The result is a fully responsive website which the Centre's can manage themselves, which allows them to highlight everything occurring within their field of expertise. It have been constructed to incorporate data from their KPI Reporting tool, which published data automatically - reducing the workload for Centre staff.
Additionally, by using the Drupal platform the Centre have the flexibility to continue functionally expanding their website platform to meet the ever changing needs of their users, stakeholders and website visitors.